Oxygen + Smoking = Problem
Don’t do this please! Smoker, 90, critically burned as oxygen tank ignites
A 90-year-old Ypsilanti woman was criticially injured Thursday when the oxygen system she was using to breathe caught on fire while she was smoking.
Firefighters responded to the 400 block of West Michigan Avenue around 11:30 p.m. to find the woman and her couch on fire. The woman sustained second- and third-degree burns on most of her body and was taken to the University of Michigan Hospital. Her condition was unavailable Friday.
The woman was involved in a similar fire in May while she was smoking, but she was not hurt, firefighters said.
Damage at the apartment was estimated at about $1,000, firefighters said