Good article in ADVANCE: Social Networking Websites Dos and Don’ts:
- Don’t deliberately disclose protected health information
- Don’t discuss “OMG” clinical situations
- Do consider whether those compromising spring break pictures are really going to enhance your social standing
- Do use restraint when discussing your personal opinions
- Don’t expect any privacy when using your employer’s computer or mobile device
The whole thing is worth a read. In general, never put anything online that you would not be comfortable appearing on the front page of your local paper.
The bit about disclosing patient information is much more critical, and stems from a more general point about the incredible importance of patient privacy rights.